Maurits Ruis BSc MSc ARB RIBA is a skilled and experienced architect with an intimate knowledge of the construction process. Maurits worked for public and private clients in the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. He moved to London because he was attracted by the culture and dynamism of the metropolis.
Maurits worked on educational, commercial and residential projects in concept and delivery stages, most recently leading the technical development of a large residential project in east London. He enjoys finding solutions for unique challenges, and to generate enthusiasm for a project in a collaborative atmosphere.
Mar 2015 – Present | London (UK)
Associate Architect, global design and engineering consultancy, 50,000 staff, 700 architects. Project Architect towers (RIBA 3) & overall Architectural Lead (RIBA 4) for Berkeley Homes Stephenson Street project (640 units). Design Lead for Crossrail underground station components. Feasibility study for a Metropolitan Police HQ. Project Architect, concept to tender, Six Form Centre in Wokingham.
Hamson Barron Smith
Nov 2012 – Feb 2015 | London (UK)
(Formerly Barron&Smith, NPS Group) Project Architect, multi-disciplinary consultancy, 65 architects. Design lead, concept to tender, Arts College refurb incl. new Sixth Form Centre in Camden. Design, planning, tender of a new Technology College building in Cheshunt. Feasibility study for Leigh town centre regeneration.
Oct 2009 – Aug 2012 | London (UK)
Project Architect, feasibility Tobacco Dock regeneration and Thames Tower office building in Reading, concept to planning. ‘Top 40 leader in UK sustain¬ability’ (BD Magazine, March 2012).
Mar 2008 – Sep 2009 | Newcastle (UK)
Project Director, award-winning international practice, 150 staff. Brief development for Porton Down science campus. Design lead, Sunderland University master-plan. Competition design, Belfast Velodrome.
Nov 1998 – Feb 2008 | Rijswijk, Woudenberg, Rotterdam (NL)
Project Architect, award-winning practice, 400 staff. Design Lead, refurb of 400 ABN AMRO Bank branch offices; Project architect, refurb of 177 homes & multi-Storey Car Park for SNS Bank HQ.
Jan 1994 – May 1994 | Leiden (NL)
Intern, drafts work and model making for Leiden University Hospital LUMC, Leiden Municipal Archives.
Aug 1993 – Dec 1993 | Leiden (NL)
Intern, healthcare contractor joint venture. Carpenter, draftsman, on site of Leiden University Hospital LUMC.
1995-1998 MSc Architecture, TU Delft, The Netherlands
1991-1995 BSc Architectural Engineering, Rotterdam University, The Netherlands
- Capitol Way Residential Development (2016-2017) – Site-based consultant for a mixed-use development of 460 apartments, 5,600 sqm retail, 450-space basement car park, incl. a 17-storey tower block, for client Shepherd Construction. Assisting in securing NHBC certification. Coordination and QA of Atkins structural, civil, building physics, traffic, MEP, fire and acoustic engineers. Capitol Way, Colindale, London.
- Southall Residential Development (2016-2017) – Stage 3 façade development, Tender package lead for 800 bathroom pods in 12 variants, development of all fire stopping details for a 618-unit, 60,800 sqm, residential project in West London for client Berkeley Group/St. James.
- Panamá Pacífico (2016) – Conceptual design for a landmark mixed-use tower in the context of the Panamá Pacífico masterplan in Panama City.
- Casablanca (2016) – Conceptual design for three residential towers in Casablanca, Morocco
- Soho high-end apartments – Design architect for the refurbishment of office space into 5 luxury apartments in Hollen Street, Soho, London, for client Jones Lang LaSalle.
- Sheffield University Student Village – Design and preparation of planning package for Endcliffe Student Village for client Sheffield University.
- Residential Masterplan, Zandvoort (NL) – Competition bid for residential masterplan Louis Davids Carré, 7,100 sqm, 184 residential units, 410 parking spaces.
- Urban Regeneration, Katwijk (NL) – Project architect from design to completion for the refurbishment of 177 residential units totaling 16,000 sqm in a Conservation Area.
- Mixed Use Development, Den Bosch (NL) – Design, feasibility, planning, tender and construction packages on a won competition design for a mixed-use development with 44 apartments, 4 penthouses, 12,000 sqm offices and double basement parking.
- Detached House, Capelle (NL) – Project Architect, design up to tender of a detached house in the context of a residential masterplan for client Bouwfonds.
- St. Crispin’s Secondary School, Wokingham – Project lead, for a new 300-student Sixth Form Centre and 20-student Autism Spectrum Disorder unit from feasibility to tender.
- Cheshunt Technology College, Hertfordshire – Design lead, new 24-classroom 3,000 sqm science and technology block in the context of a DoE Section 77 residential redevelopment with developer Cornerstone Assets. Preparation of planning and tender packages including technical detailing. Liaison with client Cheshunt School, stakeholders, consultants and contractor.
- Acland Burghley Arts College, Camden – Design lead, refurbishment of façade, dining hall, toilet blocks and a new 1,200 sqm Sixth Form Centre. Preparation of planning and tender packages including technical detailing.
- Old Oak Primary School, London – Design lead, feasibility of a 5-storey 3FE primary school with rooftop games area for London & Regional Properties in the context of a residential masterplan in Willesden Junction.
- Northstowe School, Cambridgeshire – team member, feasibility of a school cluster including a 12FE secondary school (3600 pupils), 3FE primary school (630 pupils), Sixth Form College (400 pupils), Special Education Needs (SEN) school (110 pupils), 8-court sports hall and community pool.
- Thames Tower Offices, Reading – Design lead, design up to planning application of a 43,000 sqm, 25-storey, Grade A office building for client LaSalle / Abu Dhabi Investment Authority. Including wind tunnel testing in collaboration with Arup / BRE. Secured strong CABE endorsement. Liaised with client, consultants, planners and other stakeholders.
- Multi Storey Car Park, Den Bosch (NL) – Project lead for a 260-car Multi Storey Car Park for SNS Bank HQ. Involved in design, planning and tender packages and design management up to completion.
- ABN AMRO Bank Shop Formula (NL) – Design team lead of 10-head project team for the refurbishment of 400 ABN AMRO Bank branch offices, turning around 4 offices weekly, with bespoke designs for furniture and Flagship Stores. Liaison with client and consultants. Fee management, resource planning and business development.
- Leigh Town Centre, Greater Manchester – Design lead, feasibility Study for the regeneration of Leigh town centre for Andy Burnham MP, including the refurbishment and extension of the Turnpike Centre into a community hub including a library, café, gallery and theatre.
- Tobacco Dock Masterplan – Design lead, feasibility study for the regeneration of a Grade I Listed, 20,000 sqm Victorian Warehouse and 6 adjacent sites in Wapping, East London, including the feasibility for a 4-star, 350-room, 17,000 sqm hotel, 800+ residential units and 400+ parking spaces for Kuwaiti client Messila House.
- Science Campus, Porton Down, Wiltshire – Project director responsible for development of the brief for 55,000 sqm of new laboratory facilities (containment levels 3, 4) in liaison with leading international laboratory experts for the Health Protection Agency/Department of Health.
- Sunderland University Masterplan – Design lead, strategic masterplan for Sunderland University St. Peter’s campus including 85,000 sqm of new facilities, with integration into local Strategic Planning Guidance, in the context of a UNESCO World Heritage Site bid.
- Maastricht Aachen Airport Masterplan (NL) – team member, won completion design for 1,500,000 sqm Maastricht Aachen Airport business park.
- Crossrail (2017) – Package lead, Planning Application for 21 safety screens around Overhead Line Equipment masts alongside eastbound Crossrail trajectory between Victoria Dock portal and North Woolwich portal, East London.
- Limehouse Police Station (2017) – Design lead, Feasibility Study for Limehouse Metropolitan Police, with options including HQ 30-storey office tower, facilities for 2,000 desks, 3,000 lockers, 20 horse stables, dog kennels, armoury and shooting range, car parking for 300 police vehicles, Canary Wharf, London.
- Velodrome Sports Complex, Belfast – Design lead, competition design of a 8,500 sqm, 2500-seat Olympic Legacy Programme sports complex for track cycling, volleyball, fencing and table tennis, with a community swimming pool.